WHAT IT IS: Bright, clear and sparkling this is the peppermint (mentha piperita) oil of choice for therapeutic effects. The aroma absolutely sparkles! Softer and rounder aromatically than the Indian oil that preceded it, and without the candy-like sweetness of the Midwestern USA oil, organically grown for the purists who insist upon organic oils.
WHEN TO USE IT: Colds, flu, headaches, one of the most effective oils for the digestive system (relieving dyspepsia, nausea, distension and flatulence).
HOW TO USE IT: Limit to small areas or add to bath/ shower/diffusor. Not be used in children under 30 months old.
- 1 drop of peppermint (mentha piperita) beneath the nose, on the temples or on the back of the neck can relieve sinus pressure and a tension headache.
- Because Peppermint Oil is anti-microbial, adding a few drops to a smoothie, fudge or a batch of cookies not only enhances flavor but also adds great nutritional benefit and natural immune support!
- You can make your own “toothpaste” with a blend that includes Peppermint Oil and/or Cinnamon oil. Place a few drops on your toothbrush, then dip your brush in a bowl of sea salt and baking soda.
- Peppermint is great for relieving nausea. You don’t have to swallow it to benefit! Place a drop topically on an upset belly, or simply wave a bottle under your nose.
- Soak cotton balls with Peppermint oil and place them in cupboards and on window sills to prevent pests like ants and cockroaches from finding their way into your home.
- Putting a few drops of an essential oil like Peppermint, Lemon or Rosemary in a child’s bellybutton can be a quick way to bring down a fever and relieve stomach and head pain.
- In the summer, you can spritz your overheated dog with cold water and 5-10 drops of Peppermint (mentha piperita) oil. It’s pet-friendly, refreshing and has the added benefit of keeping pests away!
BENEFITS: Enhances concentration, useful for mental fatigue, digestion and lymphatic/ circulation support, strengthens and regenerates the liver.
- French Aromamedicine recommends Peppermint Oil for general weakness as it strengthens and regenerates the liver. It has a wide range of therapeutic action (anti-inflammatory, analgesic, expectorant) and can support the lymphatic, circulatory, digestive, nervous and respiratory systems.
EMOTIONAL ASPECT: Invigorating, stimulating, strengthening, supports emotional tolerance, enhances studying and learning. Clears the mind. Conscious-expanding. Supports the movement of breath.
- According to hieroglyphics found in temple of Edfu, mint was used by the Ancient Egyptians as a ritual perfume, and was an ingredient of the sacred incense kyphi.
- 1 drop of Peppermint oil is equivalent to 28 cups of peppermint tea!