WHAT IT IS: 100% undiluted Helichrysum italicum essential oil is a pale yellow liquid displaying a rich,sweet, honeyed, herbaceous-aromatic bouquet with a fruity, tea-like undertone.. Due to the brightly colored, yellow flowers that retain their color when dried, this plant is also called “Everlasting” or “Immortelle” and is found throughout the Mediterranean region. In fact the Latin name, Helichrysum italicum, means ‘golden sun of Italy’ and is a plant that can grow in even the most depleted soils and under very harsh conditions, provided there is abundant sunshine. Helichrysum is a beautiful therapeutic essential oil that makes an excellent addition to skin care formulas. It is an effective free radical scavenger and is protective to new cells.
HOW TO USE IT:
- Pain relief and muscle spasms – Add to a compress and apply as needed. Or add to comfrey cream and apply as needed.
- Headache and migraine – Use in a diffuser, bath or shower or use the direct palm method for inhalation.
- Skincare – Apply undiluted to blemishes or other skin imperfections, including scars, to accelerate healing.
- Reduces bruising, swelling and inflammation. Effective first aid remedy for injuries, strains, sprains, tissue trauma (apply undiluted)
- Can be used one week after cosmetic surgery to promote healing.(Schnaubelt)
- Bruises, swellings, cuts, open wounds (Haas, 2004)
- Joint pain, rheumatoid arthritis (Schnaubelt, 1995)
- Old or new scars resulting from surgery or injury, inflamed tissues, Hematoma, Allergic skin reactions, Hemorrhoids, Keloid scar tissue (to prevent or improve appearance), Stretch marks, Tendinitis, Wounds and Cuts. (Schnaubelt, 1999)
- Acne, chronic dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, scar tissue, burns, dermal inflammation, cuts and wounds, bruises, radiation burns
- Childhood dermatitis (Buck,P., 2005)
- Anal/Rectal fissures (Cristina, E., 2005)
PRODUCT TIPS: Safe to use undiluted but can be added to a carrier oil.
EMOTIONAL ASPECT: Nurturing, calming, harmonizing and grounding, Helichrysum will reduce apprehension, irritability and mental unrest. Helps untangle emotional knots and resolve past emotional trauma. (Holmes, n/d)